Roland SP-555

Moderator: Aciphecs

Roland SP-555

Postby Klenderfender on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Anybody have a SP-555? I just bought one AS-IS with a few pad problems but for the price it's worth it for the long sample shots, the ability to use it as an effects generator (it's like the ultimate guitar pedal), and as an audio interface. Not as easy as an ES-1 or ESX, but a nice piece of complimentary gear. I'm quiet found of the way Korg and Roland gear interact. A nice synthesis of sounds!

Just waiting for a CF card to fill it up with dialog from science fiction films, samples from public sound libraries and the like.

I heard MIDI implementation is a royal pain though. We'll see!
Klenderfender
Knob Abuser

Re: Roland SP-555

Postby gideon on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:41 pm

I was thinking about getting one of these, but I didn't like that it still used CF cards. I did get a KP3 though which only has 4 sample banks but it has a nice crossfader mode so can switch among the 4 samples by moving your hand on the touchpad. Pretty cool.
gideon
Electribe Newbie

Postby neotechtonics on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 am

I don't have the SP555 but I have a SP404. great sampler albeit very simple.. but I like it that way. HUGE amounts of space for long samples and works so well with the EMX. I usually just use it for manually triggered one-shots but it works really well when sequenced with the EMX. and the effects are FANTASTIC even tho you can only use one at any given time on the 404.

@Gideon: the KP3 sample pads are only really worthwhile for live-looping cos they drift horribly if you're running with other gear... MIDI or not. and CF cards aren't hard to find even at 2 GB or lower capacity.
neotechtonics: the study of recent underground movements and measurement of their local effects in order to develop techniques for predicting earthquakes
http://soundcloud.com/neotechtonics

EMX guru in training
neotechtonics
EF Special Task Force

Postby Almra on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:16 am

Hi,

I have a 555 and I'm using it mostly for real time sample triggering. fxs and the d beam are great . It is very fast to sample with and the sound quality is top.

Wouldn't use it for sequencing or sample editing , as I prefer the 505 for these tasks.

If you have any questions, suggestions aso. feel free to message

cheeers
Almra
Electribe Newbie

Return to Other Grooveboxes