Spectralis 2

Moderator: Aciphecs

Spectralis 2

Postby SkinnyWhiteBoy on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:56 am

Does any of you have any experience with this machine? I'm seriously considering buying one.. It seems to be the ultimate groovebox/all-in-one machine around. But it's a bit pricey, is it worth the money? I'm also considering a Monomachine, but since I can get a used Spectralis 2 for just a little more than what a Monomachine costs, I'm leaning very hard towards the Spectralis.. I've even considered selling my beloved electribes to help fund it, but I think I'm gonna keep them until I've tried working with the Spectralis to see if it's super difficult to work with, or just (hopefully) straight-on.
I'd like to hear any of your thoughts/ideas on this subject.

Happy new year by the way..
SkinnyWhiteBoy
Knob Fiddler

Re: Spectralis 2

Postby TrondC on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:07 am

I haven't tried one, but lusted for one since I first head about them (1 and 2). from what I've gathered, the Spectralis really is everything you'd ever need music wise.. what made me go for the Monomachine and Machinedrum UW instead is the simplicity of the elektrons compared to the supposedly un-intuitive and complex menu-diving of the spectralis. most demo's I've heard tho, especially the ones from Jürg, the maker of the machine, is incredible. the sound is something the elektrons could only dream of, the filterbank is insanely cool and useful, it can sample for hours, and the sequencer is as deep as you'd ever want...

So, I got the Monomachine first, and even if that is a breeze to use compared to the spectralis, it still felt VERY complex, deep and took a LOT of time to learn how to program well, I suspect the Spectralis would be too much for me to bite over. I've heard from artists who have both that the Mono is a walk in the park compared to the spectralis, but the sound is really that much better.
Still, for me, getting the elektrons was the right choice. if I'd want the power of the spectralis, I might as well buy a dedicated music computer, get Komplete and a bunch of higher end softsynths that would be easier, cheaper and have an even wider sound palette. The Monomachine is just a lot more fun, which is why I find the Elektrons to be a logical step up from the Electribes..

I'm not saying you'll be dissapointed by the spectralis, but be perpared to spend more time learning it than using it...
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Yatmandu on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:26 am

I dunno, if you can get a Spectralis 2 for the price of a Monomachine, I'd say go for it, learn it and produce some really different sounding tunes (as Spectralis is way less common than Elektrons or Electribes). Happy New Year everyone! :rofl: :bday: :joker:
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:33 am

Not too much to add, but I have two friends with these (Spectralis II) and both of them love how deep the sequencer is. They've also made comments on how long it took to fully understand the machine, though getting into it is fairly straightforward (for my friends). The demos they've made sound really good, too (inducing GAS in me 'til I realized how little time I spend playing with what I do have ... sigh ...).

If you get one, let us know!
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby TrondC on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:05 am

it truly is a wonderful machine, and I'd love to have one one day, but the price, un-ease of use and the loooong time needed to learn it properly is kinda a killer for me. I mean, I'm still learning new things every day from the Monomachine, I could never have the patience to make full use of a spectralis.. still want one at some point tho ;)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:09 am

TrondC wrote:I could never have the patience to make full use of a spectralis.. still want one at some point tho

Ditto.

Goes for quite a few other instruments, too!
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby Oivest on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Not too much to add, but I have two friends with these (Spectralis II) and both of them love how deep the sequencer is.

I've always been under the impression that the OS was sort of buggy (maybe I'm thinking of the original unit?). What has your friends experience been stability-wise?
Oivest
Electribe Newbie

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 pm

Neither has had any trouble that I know of. These were both the second version, by the way, though I'm not sure off-hadn what the differences are. I don't know that much about it, other than hearing their stuff and seeing some photos. I don't know that I want to more than that, you know? :lol:

Did find out tonight that one of the guys has sold his recently, as he felt he needed to go "in another direction" with his setup. I didn't bother to ask what he got for it, as I didn't want to torture myself.
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby SkinnyWhiteBoy on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:42 pm

So here's how it went.. I decided not to buy the Spectralis, I would be better of buying the things I actually needed. So I bought myself some monitors (KRK Rokit 8 + subwoofer KRK 10), soundcard/audio interface (M-audio fast track ultra, currently out of stock so still waiting for that one), new computer (Imac 21,5"), and then I wanted some new sound making gear, that was a tough one, since there's soooo many nice ones out there. I considered Quasimidi raveolution and sirius, Monomachine, Spectralis, Roland sh32 and jp8080 and I even thought about getting an second EMX. But instead I went with Korg Radias, I wanted something with a sequencer, and lots of knobs. And I got it, but I seem to have misunderstood the Radias when I read about it, and how it was an EMX on steroids. There's no realtime recording, and I'm to musically stupid to enter any stepsequence and get good results. It's an awesome synthesizer, but unfortunately not what I expected and not what i needed. I could hook it up via midi and realtime record on my EMX, but then I will have to sacrifice synth parts on the EMX, that wasn't part of the plan, the plan was to get more synth parts. So at the moment it's connected to my ESX and I use the two keyboard parts on that to sequence my Radias, but that leaves me with only 2 of the Radias' 4 parts, that's not good enough. Would a midi merger let me control 2 parts from ESX and 2 parts from EMX? So I have already put the Radias up for trade, hoping someone wants to trade me their monomachine. Just thought I update you and share my thoughts, maybe some of you have a solution for me (and no Ruso, no comp for sequencing the Radias ;) )
SkinnyWhiteBoy
Knob Fiddler

Postby Yatmandu on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:47 am

Wow, I'd say learn the step! The MnM is almost double the price of a Radias, no? You basically have a bargain-Virus in the Radias which is a fantastic sound sculpting tool, and if all you're missing is the step programming, just take a bit of time to learn it.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Next

Return to Other Grooveboxes