Korg releasing Kaossilator Pro.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: Korg releasing Kaossilator Pro.

Postby Stardrifter on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 pm

MrRFJ wrote:^Nice to meet you as well. Perhaps tonight when I'm not at work I'll check out that track in your sig.

It's nothing much. Just space to fill up :lol:
We are not average people. We are professional knob-twisters.
http://soundcloud.com/ascensiondoctrine/sound-of-my-dreams-stardrifter
Stardrifter
Electribe Newbie

Postby thehighesttree on Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 pm

MrRFJ wrote:Yeah, world class fail on the Kaossilator Pro if you ask me. I got tricked into purchasing one before I put the time into researching what it was that I wanted to do and how I wanted my workflow to be laid out.

A preset box with a touchscreen; made for those that seek instant gratification with limited creative output. Might as well have come from toys r us, but that's just like my opinion man.

THIS! Every time I see this sitting on the shelf next to a KP3 (for $50 more, no less), I think they really jumped the shark with this thing and I'm as big a Korg fanboy as anyone. I can envision what they wanted to do: take the super-intuitive interface that made effects so fun on the KP3 and make it generate tone. But, uhh...I CAN ALREADY MAKE PRESET SYNTH SOUNDS ON MY KP3! Those are only good for "whiz-bang" sonic effects, and even in that regard they're probably all played out by now. Who wants to compose on something you can't play chromatically with any kind of consistency? This is fine for the little keychain Kaossilator, but who needs a dedicated $400 box for that?

I suppose people with no keys experience or who don't really understand the power of a dedicated synthesizer might dig the cool tones you can make with your finger, but it just doesn't justify its existence in my books. If the thing came packaged with an editor that really let you crack the synth engine then it would be a considerable piece of gear, but my understanding is that it's just a compilation of presets in a box. Let's put it this way: if the touchscreen died, would you hook a midi controller to it to access those sounds? Maybe, if you're a total noob. :lol:

Stuff like the KOP is giving Korg a bad reputation with synthheads. Sure it pays to be accessible, but we all hate preset noobs, and the KOP doesn't encourage moving beyond that to forge your OWN sounds. The KP3 works because you can't hum effects, the KOP sux because you'll probably forget that tune you were humming before getting anything coherent out of it instead of just finger doodling.
GEAR: TR-76(16Mb EXB-SMPL) /ESX-1 /KP3 /EMX-SD /R3 /uglyass Poly800 MkII /monotron
thehighesttree
Knob Abuser

Postby DataDies on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Hello all, this is my first post here but fittingly it's related to why I'm here.

I purchased the Kaossilator Pro as my first synth. Having no experience with synths or sequencers the simplicity was really appealing to me. I had looked at the electribe VERY briefly but the amount of buttons and knobs kinda scared me off. I didn't know what I wanted as far as sounds went and I didn't want to have to learn how to make the sounds. I also didn't want to have to program a beat. I just wanted to play it. That's where the presets and the looping functionality came in handy. Just scroll through the presets, find a sound I like, and touch the screen. Which was great....for a while.

Pretty quickly I started to crave more control over the sounds and got pretty sick of only having 16 beats. I figured adding a KP3 would help a lot. So I saved up some and got that. That helped....but not enough. That's what brought me to this site. I'm now trying to sell my Kaosislator on ebay to get enough to get an Electribe EMX-1. Now that I know a little bit more about sound design and am desperate for my beats to be in time I'm ready to take the leap into something like the Electribe.

I have no regrets. I'm glad I chose the Kaossilator first. It helped me to learn and grow confidence. It was limited but I still managed to get some great songs beat out of it. But now I'm ready to move on. I don't see the Kaossilator as a valuable tool after getting the electribe, though I'll keep the KP3.

(sorry for bringing up the old thread)
DataDies
Electribe Newbie

Postby thehighesttree on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Whoa, I really harshed out on it there before...

Anyhow, I think you'll prefer the Electribe if you're really looking to compose beats. One thing to consider is that, although the EMX does come with a bunch of different drum sounds to pick from, with the ESX you have the option of subbing in whatever drum hits you can find, and you can use the filter on them as well. These give the ESX a slight lead on the blue box when it comes to drums, but at the expense of the 5 synth parts. It's a small distinction, but the fact that you can do that and have vocal samples (with limited space) should be on your mind when you choose between the 2 electribes. The 5 synth parts on the EMX though might be more important for what you wanna do.
GEAR: TR-76(16Mb EXB-SMPL) /ESX-1 /KP3 /EMX-SD /R3 /uglyass Poly800 MkII /monotron
thehighesttree
Knob Abuser

Postby DataDies on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks for the consideration. I really think I'll need the synths on the MX. I've been researching on youtube and I can hear a lot of drum sounds I like on the MX. Plus this will be my main sound source and I don't want to really mess with uploading samples.

But I'll take a second glance at the ESX!
DataDies
Electribe Newbie

Previous

Return to Other Grooveboxes