Looking for a new synth

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: Looking for a new synth

Postby dbomob on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:36 pm

ha! sorry. that was a pretty late night wasted post. anyway. i was totally referring to legally available free VST's. in torrent form. :angel:
DEEBS.
Korg ESX-SD, Korg R3, Roland D-2, Korg Kaossilator KO-1,
Korg Mini-KP, Roland DR-5, Alesis Multimix 6FX, Lightsnake.
Ableton Live, Sony Acid, FL Studio, Reason, ReCycle, FM8.
dbomob
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 pm

:rofl: :rolling:
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:27 pm

One shall note, we do not hold a torrent forum, please don't post legal vsts in general discussion :gunz:

hhaahaha :-D
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby kidvef on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 am

Blue Menthol wrote:Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a new synth (under $1000) and was looking for some recommendations.
Joel

Hi Joel.
I'm one of the unlucky Yamaha AN1X owners who has 1 of the early buggie ones where I have to switch its dual modes off & on after I boot it up to stop its popping sound glitch but other than that & its shyte display screen I like it better to this day than any other V/A Ive heard or owned.
Its modulation matrix is damn good. Sonically it is criminally undertalked about.

If you can get an bugless or upgraded 2nd hand one (as they are no longer made) for cheap it will be a very sexy purchase I feel for anyone wanting a new audio weapon of profound meaning :)

It is good at doing very real sounding Vangelis CS80 pads & Alan Howarth/Carpenter soundtracky SCI Prophet stuff, easy Jupiter 6-8/SH101 stuff too (it also with enough time does very good TB303 emulation bearing in mind you do not expect it to squelch as good at every slide/accented hit).

I only wish it had another interface overall so I aim to get a big controller like a novation sl to open it up more.
Last edited by kidvef on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kidvef
Electribe Newbie

Postby Napkin on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:40 pm

Ruso wrote:Let me tell you this:

How much spare time do you have. I think you could benefit a lot more from a couple of ableton sessions with me over Skype. My rate is $40 bucks for an hour learning session (when I do in studio lessons) and that includes another hour of hands on studio play but since I'd be basically teaching my deepest secrets that a lot of people want and don't know exist. I'd be down to spend an hour with you for free and really teach you how to manipulate ableton into being more like a physical groove box for you so you really feel like you're using another electribe. I could set up a couple webcams and a mic so you could hear me well and skype would let you share your screen with me at the same time.

I'm switching my entire setup to work like this. Basically mine is an even more in depth version, I am writing custom programs which will auto map to active devices and such but all that can be done without programming with the right controlelrs.

Anyway basically if you wanted to you could set it up so that when you turn on ableton and the default project loads (aka you just click the ableton icon) and you could have a working "groove box" to create music on.

What I"m saying is, the built in instruments inside ableton are far more powerful then any physical synth. You might not look at it this way, but ableton in itself is basically a synth with unlimited routing possibilities. If you learn how to use the "framework" spontaneously and rapidly it will be faster and will sound better (and open up full automation and even motion sequencing if you get really creative) then working with a hardware synth, because you can have as many as you want ;)

This shyte took me many years to learn and if you are really lit up about trying some really cool shyte then I'd be willing to teach but you gotta be serious about this one and really put your effort into it.

-Ruso

Hell, if Blue Menthol doesn't jump on that, I will!

I have an EMX And Tenori-On that I have been meaning to get working with Ableton for quite some time now (especially the Tenori-On).
Would also love to learn any secrets to get out of Ableton :yup:
Napkin
Electribe Newbie

Postby Headphones on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:16 pm

All I know is, if you've got $1000 to spend, there's almost never been a better time to pick up some new synths out there.

DSI Tetra $6-800 4 mono synths, which is almost like 4 little Mopho synths. If you have any DSI synth, then you increase the polyphony when you have a Tetra thrown in.

Novation UltraNova $5-699 Pretty powerful, blue, and sexy with a vocoder. The screen is a little hard to read, but if you hook it up to your laptop/daw, then you can get under the hood and change the internal synths/effects to your liking, but you can do that also without the computer. (Just probably more menus and buttons to press). It's also got a brand new synth for $499 the MiniNova that has many of the same features, but in a smaller package. If you don't mind the smaller keys, then you could almost grab 2 of these for a grand.

Moog has you covered if you've ever wanted to add some BASS to your setup. You can get a Slim Phatty for $6-799, but you'll have a great moog synth and filters to work with. (Mono, but most CV gear is). If you ever want to spend more on Moogerfoogers, you'll increase the sounds you can make with this with the CV inputs/outputs in the back of the rack. Or, for $599, just get a Moog Minitaur, with it's powerful 2 oscilator synths, and plenty of controls. You can also use Foogers or any CV gear with it as well, but maybe with a few less options than the SP.
Headphones
Electribe Newbie

Postby segesta on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Hey guys--new to this forum but saw the reference to the Dave Smith Instruments Tetra, which I own. For a polyphonic analog synthesizer, it's an amazing value. I am new to synths--in fact, I don't even own an Electribe yet, I'm just lurking here picking up some tips before I purchase one--but there is nothing like the 'fatness' and depth of tone of a real analog synthesizer. So definitely check out the Tetra.
segesta
Electribe Newbie

Postby Stretchyman on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Alexis Micron/ Akai Miniak, same synth different box.

Lots of routing!

Lots of fun!

:thumbs:
Stretchyman
Electribe Newbie

Postby CleverConQueso on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 am

I'm using a Blofeld tabletop. It's the poor man's Virus. There's a VST editor so you can see all of the knobs in one place and it compliments the sounds available from the Electribe nicely.
-CCQ-
CleverConQueso
Electribe Newbie

Previous

Return to Other Grooveboxes