MPC??

Moderator: Aciphecs

MPC??

Postby Milhouse on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:07 am

Anyone used any of the MPC Series? Pros and Cons? I have seen some of these being sold around town but not sure if its worth it. I already have a ESX which i love using. But most folks diss the ESX and say that i should get a MPC if i want to do serious work.
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Re: MPC??

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 pm

That is not true. They are two totally different machines that do things totally different.

Also, just about all roland gear is VERY overpriced.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Yatmandu on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 am

You mean Akai gear, right? :spin:
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Milhouse on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:02 am

Yatmandu wrote:You mean Akai gear, right? :spin:

Yup, Akai MPC #####
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:20 pm

both. sorry I really hate to say it, but the sp series are basic samplers... and they cost almost as much as the electribes. If you really think about it, although great for some things, the actual complexity of what they can do is really limited. This is just my opinion though.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Yatmandu on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:59 am

I don't think Roland sp's/mc's are overpriced like Akai stuff. They may have limitations, or bad workflow, or what have you, but they're affordable. The SP-404 is a good complement to the ESX, as long as you use it for what is meant for: long phrase samples that are just not possible on the ESX. Of course, a PC/MAC with Ableton is way more powerful, but for anyone who wants to do away with a loptop in their setup the 404 ain't a bad choice.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby killedaway on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm

i'm gonna bump this old thread because i just bought an MPC500 recently, for a nice price ($200US). i figured i'd take a risk and see how it performed.

i am extremely impressed with it! in the past, i had given the MPC series some consideration, but never had any personal experience with one, and wasn't sure what to expect. reading online, a lot of people found the two smaller MPCs (1000 and 500) difficult to use, with the 500 getting the worst of it. after using it for a week, i can see where some sacrifices have been made in terms of interface, but the way Akai has condensed and redistributed functionality is quite logical. seriously -- if you bother to really read the manual, and not just skim, you can unlock this MPC's potential in a matter of hours, and likely master it in days.

while i certainly wish it had our beloved Electribes' 16-step sequencer/keyboard, the MPC's sequencer wins out in many respects: the far greater resolution (96 ppqn), the ridiculously long pattern length times (up to 999 bars), the logical and flexible pattern grouping (48 tracks per sequence, 99 sequences in total, 20 songs), generous sample space (128MB of working space, if upgraded), and more.

one thing that i'm really liking are the pad mute/solo functions, and this is where the MPC really comes alive. it's so easy to drop parts in and out, in real time, while seamlessly blending the internal samples with external control. MIDI'ing up my microKORG and DX200 makes me feel like they're part of a single groovebox. for an example, i'll play in a handful of sequences with my mK, say 6-8 of them, at 4 measures/bars each, and assign each one to the same channel and patch. now, while playing them back along with some internal (MPC) drum sounds, i'll mute and unmute them rapidly, at random. as long as the sequences are all within the same basic key or scale, this yields some awesome results, and near-endless variation. because of it, i'm now using a lot gear in my studio that just sort of sat on a shelf, because i couldn't find a fast and easy way to incorporate it into my tracks.

anyway, i've got a lot to learn, but as a hardcore Electribe fan, this particular MPC gets my stamp of approval. after all the hype and complaints that i'd read, i'm amazed at how easy it is to use, and just how much flexibility it can inject in a project, especially one that's very Electribe-centric.

... and i haven't even done any sampling with it yet! :lol:
ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:25 pm

You got a pretty good deal on that MPC500. I've never owned or used one, but before I got into the tribes, I was looking at getting an MPC1000. Finally, I decided they were overpriced, and I'm glad I went with the tribes (because of all the real-time motion seqs and tweaking available), but the MPC's strengths are exactly what you've noted and the fact is that they're way more flexible in terms of the types of riddims you can get out of them.

Let's face it, if the MPC series was a hard to use, poorly designed turds, it wouldn't have done so well, would it? I think an MPC will fill in the rhythmic gaps of an electribe quite nicely. Let us know how the two work together.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby killedaway on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Yatmandu wrote:Let's face it, if the MPC series was a hard to use, poorly designed turds, it wouldn't have done so well, would it?

well, i think a lot of people complain that Akai is guilty of "resting on their laurels"; that is, bringing the MPCs of today to market quickly, and not supporting them as aggressively as folks think they should; rather, they're banking on folks buying them mostly because of the "MPC" label on the case. and to that end, i might be inclined to agree. i mean, look at that whole debacle with the MPC1000's pads. there is no denying that the pad/sensor design is inherently flawed, but Akai did nothing to remedy the problem beyond offering a shamefully expensive replacement at the consumer's cost. as a further inadvertent admission of guilt, they updated the design of the later model and left legacy users in the cold. i can't say whether or not they could have afforded some sort of recall or exchange plan, but they could've done just about anything to help (heavily discounted replacements, rebates toward a future purchase, etc.) but decided to basically turn their back on the problem. also, while i can't attest to any bugs myself, i have read of them online and apparently Akai takes a pretty relaxed attitude toward updates and bug-fixes.

but, again, i'm new to the MPC, so i have no prior complaints or deep-rooted notions about the quality. of course, time will tell how reliable the MPC500 is for me, but barring any massive flaws or constant crashing, i'm very pleased with what i've seen so far. would i pay $599 for one, now that i've had a chance to use it? ask me in 90 days. :lol:
ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:41 pm

killedaway wrote:
Yatmandu wrote:Let's face it, if the MPC series was a hard to use, poorly designed turds, it wouldn't have done so well, would it?

well, i think a lot of people complain that Akai is guilty of "resting on their laurels"; that is, bringing the MPCs of today to market quickly, and not supporting them as aggressively as folks think they should; rather, they're banking on folks buying them mostly because of the "MPC" label on the case. and to that end, i might be inclined to agree. i mean, look at that whole debacle with the MPC1000's pads. there is no denying that the pad/sensor design is inherently flawed, but Akai did nothing to remedy the problem beyond offering a shamefully expensive replacement at the consumer's cost. as a further inadvertent admission of guilt, they updated the design of the later model and left legacy users in the cold. i can't say whether or not they could have afforded some sort of recall or exchange plan, but they could've done just about anything to help (heavily discounted replacements, rebates toward a future purchase, etc.) but decided to basically turn their back on the problem. also, while i can't attest to any bugs myself, i have read of them online and apparently Akai takes a pretty relaxed attitude toward updates and bug-fixes.

but, again, i'm new to the MPC, so i have no prior complaints or deep-rooted notions about the quality. of course, time will tell how reliable the MPC500 is for me, but barring any massive flaws or constant crashing, i'm very pleased with what i've seen so far. would i pay $599 for one, now that i've had a chance to use it? ask me in 90 days. :lol:

Yeah I read up on the MPC1000 crappy pad problems which is the other main reason I didn't bite, apart from price. As for the OS, apparently everyone goes for the JJ upgrade (but that's an added cost). Akai just doesn't seem to be that quick with evolving their gear in general. I just like the idea of the drumpad method for doing rhythms, in addition to the xox method, but i guess you can get that type of control with an MPD16/24 and a good s/w DAW like Ableton.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Next

Return to Other Grooveboxes