Electribe MIDIconnected with a Roland MC505

Moderator: Aciphecs

Electribe MIDIconnected with a Roland MC505

Postby Fauno on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:24 am

Does anyone have experience conecting a ESX or any other kind of Electribe to a MC 505 or any other kind of Roland Groovebox?

Im just about to go buy the cable, if anyone have done this before I would apresiate some assistence. I have used this two beauties just syncronizing them by ear,, like pressing play or rec just on the right count.. it has worked for me so far but its kind of risky, i sometimes through it a little off.. Thats why i will get the connection.. any thoughts??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excuse the gramatical error "I aint a native speaka"
rockin

http://www.myspace.com/antilopeantediluviano
Fauno
Electribe Newbie

Re: Electribe MIDIconnected with a Roland MC505

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:07 am

You just need to set one as the master clock - read through the manuals and you'll find out how to do it no problem.
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby Karl Schorff on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:47 am

yeah you shoud of course read the manuals, but i can tell you that roland and korg are not working perfectly together or at least the two machines i have don't.

i have an emx and a Roland SH-32, i can connect them, but i never got them synced, so the roland gets the BPM and i can use the LFO without first giving it the right speed and everything. (but of course it plays all the notes i play on the emx, it even reads the motionsequences i record on the emx, which for me is incredibly cool)

so it can be quite tricky. and it is not that i didn't try everything, i even asked the MIDI-Teacher at SAE(university for sound engineering etc.)but he couldn't help me out either.
Karl Schorff

Korg Electribe MX
Korg Electribe ES-1
Korg Monotron
Roland SH-32
MFB 522 analog drummachine
Karl Schorff
Knob Abuser

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:16 am

That's odd. I had my EMX control my kids' piano and their keyboard. I had to set the receive channel (on the respective instruments) for the channel I wanted it to react to, though. It was all mono - I wonder if I set them both to omni if it would be different?

I do know someone who uses his EMX for external sequencing - I can ask him, if you'd like.
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby Karl Schorff on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:54 pm

maybe i explained myself wrong.

i ment that my emx send the notes and everything, and the roland plays them, but still i can't get the midiclock to be synced (refering to the lfo and the apreggiator).
Karl Schorff

Korg Electribe MX
Korg Electribe ES-1
Korg Monotron
Roland SH-32
MFB 522 analog drummachine
Karl Schorff
Knob Abuser

Postby Fauno on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Pretty interesting stuff you guys are telling me thanks for the feedback (sure i have read the manual, but you know this manuals are not based on personal experience)

I ready havent got the cable yet, not as easy to find as I thought (at least in Costa Rica)
Ill try to get it tomorrow, i know the right store now

Ill tell you all how that went

--------------------------------------------------------------------
rockin

Blessings
Fauno
Electribe Newbie

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:54 pm

No answer for you yet, but I did email my friend.

Please do let us know what happens!
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 am

you need nothing special... all you need is a midi cable and to set the EMX as a master (look at the midi part of the manual) and the module you're controlling to sync up to a master. (be a slave).

When the master machine sends a timecode through the midi cable, the other machine should automatically sync up.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Return to Other Grooveboxes