VS880 w VFXpansion

Moderator: Aciphecs

VS880 w VFXpansion

Postby hseiken on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Just bought me one of these. Been looking to rid myself of computer screen when working on music, especially for recording. Now I'm almost computer free! :D...
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Re: VS880 w VFXpansion

Postby dubathonic on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 am

I'd never heard of these and just checked the reviews out online...looks like a decent piece of gear. Would appreciate a review after you've spent some time with it.
EMX, MachineDrum, Octatrack, KP3, Behringer FCB-1010, Taylor T5
http://dubathonic.bandcamp.com/
dubathonic
Knob Fiddler

Postby hseiken on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Will definitely post my thoughts about it. Actually, my first thought is that the manual is laid out in the exact opposite of logic. :) Seriously, you have to search the index for everything because the whole manual is laid out haphazardly. Other than that, I'll let you know. I"m going to try and obtain the IDE->SD adapter so I won't have to worry about hard drive failures. Priced them online and they're less than 10$. :) Slap a 2GB card in it and bam...good to go...and it will make it easier to transfer projects to reaper for final rendering on PC for distro of the tunes. :)

Will keep you posted, dub.
hseiken

Postby hseiken on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Okay, we'll I've done two tracks on the unit and I must say...it's definitely an 8 track. Takes some getting used to. However, this is just what I like. Limits always make me more creative and really think about what's import in the tune...

The scrub feature is REALLY nice as are the locator markers. Makes overdubbing new tracks a breeze with the shortcut buttons to go straight to the section of the song you want. The internal effects are pretty nice and can be heavily edited. I haven't really used them as it would be overkill, but I may start using them in the future so that I can use more tracks before bouncing down to stereo pair since the stereo effects will still occur even on a mono track. I've been using external effects and recording in stereo (my 2 tracks so far are almost literally 4 track recordings since I use a pair of mono tracks for a single stereo recording).

It takes a bit of fiddling to get the idea of how the workflow is supposed to be at first, but once you understand it, it's gotta be one of the most fun I've had. Definitely faster than working with PC even if it's more limited overall.

The virtual track concept is really awesome. The way I've been working the whole thing is for each part that I record on the same track, I'll record it on a new virtual track (there's 8 per track) that way I really have all the track parts separated, even though only 8 tracks can play at once. Makes it easy to go back and edit those sections later.

I'd definitely recommend this unit for someone looking to peel themselves away from PC shackles assuming you know what you're stepping into. There's a 16 track version of the unit, I believe which would require less forethought into how the recording will happen. I may upgrade to it at some point but for now, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Will post more thoughts later when I use/try more features. I've only scratched the surface of this bad boy.
hseiken

Return to Other Grooveboxes