DSI/Roger Linn's Tempest

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: DSI/Roger Linn's Tempest

Postby Dr Feelgood on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:30 pm

It looks and sounds fantastic-those vintage wooden panels and all the knobbage really sparks my inner creative beast, but yeah the price is a bit steep unfortunately :| .
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

https://soundcloud.com/feelgood79
https://soundcloud.com/holographic-dreams-1
Dr Feelgood
Master Tribe Wizard

Postby sauce on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:47 am

Eraser wrote:Ahh, Dave Smith gear... :shakeno:

I had a DS Tetra for less than a week. Quickest return I ever made on a synth. Flimsy build, crap OS, the PC editor was FULL of bugs and my Cheetah MS6 (similar Curtis chips - the only reason I haf believed the DS hype) took a gargantuan DUMP on it sound-wise. Well, everything-wise TBH.

Think I'll stick to my tribes. :twisted:

I can fully understand why you didn't dig the Tetra at first, but the upgrades have made some real improvements. The Mopho is the best bang-for-the-buck analog solution, though (unless you get a Monotron and are handy with a soldering iron), and the desktop Evolver was before that. Dave Smith is, undeniably, one of the most innovative synth designers of all time:

-Founder of Sequential Circuits
-Built the world's first analog synth based on a microprocessor, and the first-ever polyphonic analog synth: the Prophet 5
-Developed Vector Synthesis and built the first vector synth: Prophet VS
-Developed the R&D at Korg and designed/built the Wavestation.
-Helped invent MIDI.
-Built the first-ever software synth.
http://SnowMetal.org for music, tutorials, news, sample-packs and tutorials.
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby Eraser on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:34 am

Heya Sauce.

I think a lot of people are divided over the DS range, TBH. :) The sound is subjective of course, but was far too harsh for my liking and had none of the warmth that I associate with 'analog' synths (not even DCO analog). The poor interface, cheap components and truly awful software (and I mean it was *literally* unuseable - don't know what it's like thesedays) cannot be excused, especially given DS's credentials as you have listed.

All DS had to do was put 4 (pre-designed - nothing to do with DS) Curtis synth chips into a half decent unit and have it controled via a decent OS and a useable patch editor.

FAIL. :lol:

Cheetah MS6 all the way for me (got 3 of them now - LOL)! £250 second hand. 6 part multi, so that's £42 per analog mono-synth, each with *awesome* PWM, sync, custom PWM LFO, LFO delay (suprisingly rare parameter and great for lead sounds).

Each to their own I guess!
Korg Electribe ESX-1, ER-1 mk2, MS2000, Alesis Ion, Micron, Novation Nova, Cheetah MS6, Clavia Nord Lead 1 Rack, Commodore 64, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha TX81Z.
Eraser
Electribe Newbie

Postby sauce on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Eraser wrote:Cheetah MS6 all the way for me (got 3 of them now - LOL)! £250 second hand. 6 part multi, so that's £42 per analog mono-synth, each with *awesome* PWM, sync, custom PWM LFO, LFO delay (suprisingly rare parameter and great for lead sounds).

Each to their own I guess!

Yeah, no doubt there are more and more affordable analog choices nowadays.

As far as that Cheetah joint, it sounds amazing. I have never heard of it, and that is unusual; I have owned/played many unsung (or over-priced), classic synths: Serge, Electro-Comp, Arp, Wiard, Kyma. Anyway, I think I will buy one of these MS-6 synths, post haste! Thank you :)

BTW, have you ever played with a Roland MKS-7? It has a Juno 106 (split into a two-voice multi synth, 4+2), an analog "bass synth" (square wave) and a TR-707, in a rack. I have never owned one, but I would love to have one, and am currently looking. I think maybe it could be the world's first multi-timbral analog? When did the SCI Six-Trak come out?
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby Eraser on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 am

Heya Sauce,

I've only recently discovered the existence of the MKS-7 (never actualy played one). Very weird little unit! The only Juno I ever owned was an Alpha Juno 1 back in the 90's, which was a bit average TBH (though I understand the other Juno's do sound much better). I get too scared about the 'rotting voice chip' horror stories to consider a 106. Wouldn't mind a Juno 60 one day though!

If you do manage to track down an MS6, you won't be disappointed. It's no Jupiter 8 or Moog, but much more useful, IMO. The Christopher Maad firmware upgrade adds even more functionality. From his website:

http://www.maad.net/ms6/sounds/v13demo.wav

"This is a demo of the v1.3 firmware upgrade. It was recorded straight from my MS6 through a DigiTech StudioQuad effects processor to add some reverb. The song features portamento on both the bass and the lead, a bunch of filter cutoff and resonance adjustments via CC messages for the bass, and also a lot of program change messages to build up the drum part".
Korg Electribe ESX-1, ER-1 mk2, MS2000, Alesis Ion, Micron, Novation Nova, Cheetah MS6, Clavia Nord Lead 1 Rack, Commodore 64, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha TX81Z.
Eraser
Electribe Newbie

Postby kidvef on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:54 am

I never used a Cheetah MS6 but many friends have shown me their abilities & swear by them for the Matrixy/Prophety type sounds.
I heard Surgeon/Anthony Childs loves his one if a fan of such music.

I have been waiting for this DM from this duo patiently. I love both of those guys inventions mostly. Scared about the recent TETRA complaints though.

This new Tempest machine does look a bit more fragile/thin than I expected it to though. For that price I really need something cased & built so well that it will last me 20 years at least.
The screen may fizzle out sooner than I also want it to (at that price). The pads perhaps look a bit cheap like jitteresque plastic too, no?
The sound/perf features I'm almost sure will far from dissapoint. Like what I am hearing on the whole though from this machine, fellow forum members.
Dave & Roger seem to have bizarrely included all the options/requests I mailed them for their new drum machine to include years back except for a tr808 style fill button :(. So obviously/maybe thousands of us all roughly wanted emailed/something very similair from them as customers.
As long as their parts & aftercare service is flawless on the unit then I will most likely buy one. I will be cautious though as always on purchasing new kit & wait for a year to see if any horror stories emerge.
Last edited by kidvef on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kidvef
Electribe Newbie

Postby sauce on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Eraser wrote:The only Juno I ever owned was an Alpha Juno 1 back in the 90's, which was a bit average TBH (though I understand the other Juno's do sound much better). I get too scared about the 'rotting voice chip' horror stories to consider a 106. Wouldn't mind a Juno 60 one day though!

The Alpha Juno was a bit short on depth; I understand what you mean. I started on a JX8P and then also owned a JX3P and a JX10, and I put the Alpha into that category for an analog, which is less than stellar.

The Juno 106, though, while everyone years ago used to complain about it being "thin", is not thin at all. I have owned two of them and I miss my last one dearly. It's unison mode defeats any "thin-ness" that could ever arise, although I don't find it thin anyway; I find it beautiful. Furthermore, although I haven't had any issues with replacing the chips, I know it's easy to get the chips and easy to replace them as well.

Interesting is that I also really like the Korg Poly 800, so maybe my opinion can't be trusted, lol.. :) I know the guy who invented the "Moog Slayer" mod for it, kind of.. He and I have been members of the same online forum for many years. It's a siiiiick mod, and makes for a *destroyer* analog synth an the very cheap.

As for a Juno 60, I can sell you one.. How much are you looking to pay?

Lastly, as far as another unsung analog gem, I used to own a Kawai K3m. I loved it. The pads and strings were deep and evolving, and the basses were incredible DEEP. Not "fat" mind you, in the usual analog sense, but very, very deep in the low end, similar to your TX81Z, I guess, but with analog warmth.
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby sauce on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 pm

sauce wrote:
Eraser wrote:with analog warmth.

Oh, I should mention, the K3 (and "M" rack version) is actually a wavetable synth, but with VCA and VCF.
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby Eraser on Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:57 am

Sauce - I'll PM you.

Sorry for going a bit off topic chaps! ;)
Eraser
Electribe Newbie

Previous

Return to Other Grooveboxes