Monomachine SFX-60 MK2

Moderator: Aciphecs

Monomachine SFX-60 MK2

Postby TrondC on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:34 am

Allright, I've had this baby long enough to write a little review.

in a word, it's just mindblowingly deep! it can do literally any kind of synthesis, make any kind of sound, and the sequencer is so deep I'll keep exploring new things every day..
It's a little different that the electribes, in that you save kits and patterns seperately, and the parameter locks are insanely useful, makes for a lot more precise expression than the motion sequencers of the tribes. you can even make evolving pad sounds by selecting the chord-synth (don't remember the name right now), and parameter lock the 4-oscillators for each step, meaning you can emulate a true 4-voice poly synth with just one track :)

one drawback is that it only goes to 64 steps, but you can loop-chain 2 patterns, so that they play back in an alternative fashion (Pattern 01, then 02, then 01, then 02 etc) to emulate the 128 step sequencer of the electribes.

My ESX + the MnM and Acidlab Bassline provides everything I need for most music, although people say the Machinedrum is even better than the MnM, so I'm saving up :)

compared to my EA and MC808 (former machines), the MnM is a winner hands down. the EA is a little easier to learn (but then again, it's the easiest piece of equipment ever), but the MnM beats it in every way imaginable (and it should for the 15x price tag)

I kinda want to compare it to an EMX, but I have no space (or money) for it, but from my experience with EMX's at music shops, the MnM and EMX are very similar in approach. the EMX may lead to quicker results, but the MnM goes deep into really sophisticated synthesis and features on par with expensive software synths. Oh, and it has SEPERATE fx for each track, a big bonus over the EMX/ESX where you only have 3 fx combined, meaning you can easily bring the fx to overdrive on the tribes, where you get crystal clear sound on the MnM. It's also completely quiet, whereas the ESX has a constant noice from the outputs (no it's not the cable or some ground loop, it's just not very quiet)..

simply put, the Elektrons are king of "grooveboxes", but with a pricetag thah match their abilities. If you can afford it, you won't regret a MnM :)

(P.S: still have a HUGE love for the ESX/EMX :))
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Re: Monomachine SFX-60 MK2

Postby Yatmandu on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Nice review! Unfortunately the Elektrons are very expensive, especially in Canada these days, because of the Euro $$$$$. Because of that I have to stick with US or Japanese gear.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby TrondC on Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:59 am

Yatmandu wrote:Nice review! Unfortunately the Elektrons are very expensive, especially in Canada these days, because of the Euro $$$$$. Because of that I have to stick with US or Japanese gear.

yeah, tell me about it.. I had saved up for both the Monomachine and the Machinedrum UW (mk2's), but I decided to get one first in case I didn't like it, chances were that I could like the other either.. In the meantime, the Norwegian krone fell some 25-30% compared to the dollar, so suddenly the UW went from costing roughly 9000 kroner to around 12500 today.. needless to say, Now I can't afford it for quite some time..
Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Chemtek on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:58 am

Hello,

iam really interest to buy Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1 MK II Drumcomputer.
I have Korg ESX and Korg Kaossilator.
I dont know how can i play both sync (elektron and ESX) ? midi cables?

thankx
Chemtek
Electribe Newbie

Postby medearis on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:04 am

Assuming you're going to use the Machinedrum as the master the MIDI flow will look like:
Machinedrum MIDI OUT >> ESX MIDI IN
Once you have the Machinedrum and the ESX in the same place, just check the manual for all the MIDI stuff. Also, forums like these tend to have tons of useful info. so do tons of reading & fiddling! :hug:
Machinedrum|OctaTrack|<looking for third piece!>
medearis
Electribe Newbie

Postby Milhouse on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:42 am

Hey, how did you like your MC 808??
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Postby TrondC on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:54 am

Milhouse wrote:Hey, how did you like your MC 808??

it was SUCH a PAIN to work with.. endless sub-menu-editing, never got the hang of a bunch of things, and at the end of the day I'd rather reach for the ESX, despite the on-paper-limitations compared to the 808. I did record theese two tracks before selling (with a profit..) as part of funding the monomachine. now THAT was a right desicion for me..

theese two tracks are both live takes, and the errors in the beats reflect how awful it was to edit the damn thing. I could choose between quantizing the entire pattern or nothing at all, so to keep the "live" drumming feel I was going for (but failed at) I had to live with some errors... that aside even just using the preset sounds was pretty fun.. editing a preset was horrible, so all I use are presets

Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Milhouse on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:35 am

TrondC wrote:
Milhouse wrote:Hey, how did you like your MC 808??

it was SUCH a PAIN to work with.. endless sub-menu-editing, never got the hang of a bunch of things, and at the end of the day I'd rather reach for the ESX, despite the on-paper-limitations compared to the 808. I did record theese two tracks before selling (with a profit..) as part of funding the monomachine. now THAT was a right desicion for me..

theese two tracks are both live takes, and the errors in the beats reflect how awful it was to edit the damn thing. I could choose between quantizing the entire pattern or nothing at all, so to keep the "live" drumming feel I was going for (but failed at) I had to live with some errors... that aside even just using the preset sounds was pretty fun.. editing a preset was horrible, so all I use are presets

I will have to check out your tunes when Im not on work computer. Work blocks youtube :( I have a MC 808. It is a pain. The software doesnt work on any of my computers, the menus and just loading and unloading samples is a pain. I basically gave up on using it as a sampler. The ESX is a piece of cake to use. The MC 808 i use as a sequencer and midi control other synths. Im kind of looking to for new gear. Might get one of the elektron machines or save up for new Roger Linn drum machine.
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Return to Other Grooveboxes