Roland Mc307 or Yamaha Rm1x

Moderator: Aciphecs

Roland Mc307 or Yamaha Rm1x

Postby SkinnyWhiteBoy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 am

I'm selling my Er1 and was thinking about getting one of these machines for the money..
I'm leaning towards the Mc307, mainly because I'm convinced it's better/cooler soundwise, but also because I started out 10 or so years ago with a Mc303. And I think the 307 looks way better than the rm1x.
What do you guys think I should choose? What would you choose, and why??
I wish there was a compare grooveboxes site ;)
The 307 is more than double the price of the Rm1x, both are used.
SkinnyWhiteBoy
Knob Fiddler

Re: Roland Mc307 or Yamaha Rm1x

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 am

I'm a big fan of two of Roland's boxes - the 505 and the 909. In order to get what you want out of them, though, you need to invest time to learn their inner workings. The 909 has a more extensive synth engine, but the 505 is cheaper. The 307 seemed to be the step between the two (it has a JV-series synth engine) and featured a few more drum samples than the library, but fewer controls. If you can deal with menu-diving a bit, I'm sure that would be just fine.

That said, I've also had a couple of RM1xs. This is also a capable machine, sharing the lack of individual patches with the EMX (they're stored in the patterns). I liked a lot of the preset sounds here, but found overall I could get deeper with the MC-series when it came to programming my own. That's my only bias, though.

There was an RM1x site that featured a comparison of boxes at one point in time. Unfortunately, it seems to be gone like so many others. That would be a good thing to have, though: a site that all-in-one boxes and leaves the rest of the synth world to others. Hmm ...

Good luck with your decision! I would think that whichever way you go (and I know I wasn't very helpful here), you could easily re-sell your purchase and get the other should you decide to.

Scott
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby dubathonic on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:I would think that whichever way you go (and I know I wasn't very helpful here), you could easily re-sell your purchase and get the other should you decide to.

That's definitely true of the MC307, I just picked one up on eBay in good shape for about $150, which is about what they seem to be going for these days.

I really like the sounds on the '307, but the menus take some getting used to...the antithesis of the EMX in terms of ease, really, but you can get deeper into editing the synth and drum tones. Might be worth trying it out and keeping the packaging nearby in case you decide to put it back on the market ;)
EMX, MachineDrum, Octatrack, KP3, Behringer FCB-1010, Taylor T5
http://dubathonic.bandcamp.com/
dubathonic
Knob Fiddler

Postby dubathonic on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:26 am

Incidentally, if you do get the MC307, I've started a blog about it because I'm not happy with the manual: http://mc-307.blogspot.com/ Hit me up there with comments or questions; I'm hoping it will become a resource for anybody who picks one up.
EMX, MachineDrum, Octatrack, KP3, Behringer FCB-1010, Taylor T5
http://dubathonic.bandcamp.com/
dubathonic
Knob Fiddler

Postby SkinnyWhiteBoy on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:30 am

I got no reply from either of them, so obviously didn´t get any of the machines. But I just bought a Roland sp808 for 120$ :D
SkinnyWhiteBoy
Knob Fiddler

Return to Other Grooveboxes