Thinking of getting RS7000

Moderator: Aciphecs

Thinking of getting RS7000

Postby hseiken on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Well, after this last week of noodling around with MIDI and multitrack recording, I have come to the conclusion that I like workstations better (maybe because I learned all this type of stuff on one to begin with, who knows...) and have been looking into the RS7000. It also seems equipped well enough to also be functional for live stuff as well, which is a plus.

Anyone got any experience with it? Seems to be popular with gabber and hip hop crowds (just watched a video with some hip hop dork talking about the "SQUARETOOTH WAVE" on the LFO section...guh...and it was a tutorial video, too...how embarassing...) but I've heard very interesting dnb from it.

What I'm most excited about is that it seems to be an MC909 without the bugs, more knobs and better compressor (maybe FM is in there too which would seriously just make me smile). Been looking around and they seem to go for really cheap since they're like the forgotten workstation...everyone gets MPCs and Rolands and Yamaha is always the last one out (how did they purchase korg anyway? Must've been their motorcycle income that did that...).

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts on the machine if you have any. I'm currently skimming the manual and it seems like it's pretty well earned it's 'workstation' title...
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Re: Thinking of getting RS7000

Postby Earthworm on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:18 pm

hseiken wrote:just watched a video with some hip hop dork talking about the "SQUARETOOTH WAVE" on the LFO section...guh...and it was a tutorial video, too...how embarassing...
Too funny, :rofl: Sorry I don't know anything about RS7000 other than they look interesting and I want one too.
Earthworm
Electribe Newbie

Postby Oivest on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:52 am

A lot of people crap on the internal sounds. I don't think it's that horrible, you just have to be selective on what sounds you're using. It is a master MIDI controller dream however. If you have a bunch of modules/keyboards, it can truly become the brain of your setup without having to touch your other pieces of gear (e.g. GREAT live unit). Certainly worth taking a look at, particularly since you can get them on the cheap these days.
Oivest
Electribe Newbie

Postby MrRFJ on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am

I know the thread is old and the OP has made his decision long ago but for anyone else in the same spot...

As a master sequencer it's great. But defiantly lacking in the synth department. And by lacking I mean it doesn't even have a synth department as it's a rompler for all practical purposes.
MrRFJ
Electribe Newbie

Postby sauce on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:45 pm

MrRFJ wrote:..it doesn't even have a synth department as it's a rompler for all practical purposes.

I love the synth. Multi LFOs equal wave manipulation, plus weird filters like a band-extract filter, plus the sampling.. mmmmm, the sampling. The 8 Master Effects are high-quality, not to mention the MIDI effects.. Yeah, I think I am going to buy one this week. It should compliment my ESX perfectly, plus I can run the ESX output into the RS and use the Multiband Compressor, thus elimination the need to tour with my expensive TC Electronic rack.

!! =)

I admit, I have never been one to shy away from the word "rompler". After all, although I have a *massive* vintage, analog synth collection, my favorite synths are the Korg Wavestation series! ..and the Waldorf Blofeld. And the PPG's.
http://SnowMetal.org for music, tutorials, news, sample-packs and tutorials.
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby Klenderfender on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:17 pm

Love me some Romplers as well. Just got the machine many loathe...the MC-303! :DD

If I remember right the SU700 is a step below the RS7000? Been wondering about that one.
Klenderfender
Knob Abuser

Postby hseiken on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:06 am

Well, the thread ressurrecter was right, I made my decision long ago...but I recently bought something else, mainly due to travelling and getting tired of being charged extra for my luggage due to weight, opening up my luggage and finding my gear has a new scar, etc...so...I got an OP-1.

I've only had it about 3 days but from what I've seen, it's got Korg mentality wrapped up in a nerdified hipster portable. What i'm saying is this: It's intuitive and fun and throws out features in return for usability and enjoyment. I don't think everyone would be able to appreciate what it's goal is (which imo, reaches it on almost every count) or the fact that it's price is likely about 60% all from the actual construction of the unit (it's a metal case, not plastic, feels solid like a brick, is heavy as hell for it's size, etc.) and not it's features but it definitely does exactly what what I want: I got stuck at the airport for almost 3 hours yesterday waiting on my luggage due to a storm and so I busted this little dude out and made a tune. I couldn't have done that with ESX (maybe sp404, but I never wasted backpack space on it, always packed it in suitcase due to it's weight and size).

At any rate, OP1 has limitations, but nothing worse than your Korg product. It sacrifices what's not needed in order to make things fun and creative and it's definitely got the features exactly where it counts. USD$800+ may be too steep for some, though.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby MrRFJ on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:38 am

hseiken wrote:so...I got an OP-1.

Congrats on the new bit of gear. What are the sounds like on that thing?

And also...on a scale of 1 to 10 how, in retrospect, would you rate the RS-7000 and did you wind up mainly using it to sequence other gear or did you find it's sounds useful?

Klenderfender wrote:Love me some Romplers as well. Just got the machine many loathe...the MC-303! :DD

I once purchased a 303 from some guy on eBay for like 100.00 or something. MC not TB you know. Anyway it arrived a broken mess with marker all over it. So I reported him and got my money back.

That experience, and also the rompler issue, leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the machine. However I have seen a handful of people do some fairly interesting things with it though on the youtube. I guess it all really comes down to how much time you spend with something and how willing the producer is to do things like reading manuals, learning whatever it is inside and out so as to maximize the devices capabilities.

sauce wrote:After all, although I have a *massive* vintage, analog synth collection

Really? That's cool. Care to elaborate. I'm real close to getting some real analog myself. Just something cheap like the Mopho module so I can sample it with the ESX.

sauce wrote:...and the Waldorf Blofeld.

Many times I have come really close to purchasing one of these units but it's the interface that stops me and I hear it has output issues. However I have never used one so I can't say for sure. And yes the Mopho's interface is equally as horrid, if not more, but hey...it's analog.
MrRFJ
Electribe Newbie

Return to Other Grooveboxes