If you could have only 2?

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: If you could have only 2?

Postby killedaway on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:15 am

Yatmandu wrote:but everything that can be done on the early models, can also be done on the later ones.

i have to respectfully disagree on this last point. the overall sound of the original EA/ER/ES simply can't be accurately emulated on the E-X series, even after downsampling. there is an overall coarseness, or dirt to the output of the ES-1 that stands alone, and it's mostly this reason that has me missing mine so much -- i'm thinking it's also this that people are referring to when they talk about "soul"; that's what it is for me, anyway. further, the knobs, while perhaps flimsier, were certainly quicker than the new models (including the mkII), and i think it has a big impact on the type of sweeps and motion sequences that people use. and yeah, maybe even the overall layout plays a small part in it too, but it's definitely a number of elements that the ESX can't match.

i played the crap out of my ES-1 and knew it like the back of my hand. now, i have the same familiarity with my ESX. the ESX is an excellent sampler, to be sure, and handily beats many competing products. the higher sampling rate, additional measures, multiple independent effects, mute improvements, and much more also put the ESX above the ES-1 when it comes down to features. yet for some reason, to my ears, the ESX simply can't nestle down "in the pocket" like the ES-1.
ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:25 am

I definitely wasn't going by experience when I said that...more from an overall impression from the forums/web/youtube/etc. I've never heard or played with the Es-1 or Er-1 in person, so I stand corrected.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby TrondC on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:43 am

they're all unique, both my EA and ER went a lot further than my ESX in many ways. I'd still chose ESX+EMX tho (or ESX+EMX+Monomachine+Machinedrum for that dream-setup..)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Dj Pound on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:57 pm

I would have to roll with an ES-1 together with an ESX-1.
Im very familiar with both, and will never part with either. As far as the sound quality on these two, i think both are excellent..but in different regards. The lower sample rate of the ES, is quite distinctive and adds to its charm,despite the ESX's higher sampling rate the same can also be said about the ESX as well, both machines have their very own distinctive sonic qualities.
But 95% of the time i process and EQ everything i put into these machines beforehand, that in itself almost always yields good results regardless of what machine your using, EQ is something more people need to take advantage of!
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Postby AbalaSonagama on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 am

funny, i dont have either at the moment, but id go with EMX/ES1 as well

have owned an ES1 and borrowed for an extensive amount of time an EMX, and i thikn theyd compliment each other well
AbalaSonagama
Electribe Newbie

Previous

Return to General Discussion